I've been a bit under the weather lately. What started out as allergies has drastically worsened into an ugly sinus infection. Fortunately, one of my favorite recipes doubles as an amazing sinus decongestant. It's spicy and delicious, but keep a box of tissues on hand, you will need them as you enjoy this Mexican Chicken Lime Soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 3 limes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 hass avocados, thinly sliced
- Tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, turn the heat to medium and cook until the onion browns, about 5-6 minutes. Turn the heat to high, push the onions to the side of the pan, add the chicken and cook, turning, until golden, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce, then stir in the chicken broth. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming any foam. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Place desired amount of avocado slices in bowls and pour in the soup. Top with the tortilla chips.